compost http://kalw.org en Zero Waste in San Francisco is a 2020 Vision http://kalw.org/post/zero-waste-san-francisco-2020-vision <p></p><p>“The goal is Zero Waste by 2020, and we think that is an achievable goal.”</p><p></p><p>Those words from former San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom back in 2009 promoted the idea of diverting all waste from landfills. It was actually an official resolution passed back in the Willie Brown Administration. Now in 2014, Mayor Ed Lee claims the city has reached 80% diversion. Whether or not that <a href="http://www.sfbg.com/2014/07/08/garbage-game?page=0,0">debatable claim</a> is true, there’s a long way to go to reach the goal. So what’s it going to take to achieve zero waste by 2020?</p> Thu, 17 Jul 2014 23:13:45 +0000 Adam Teitelbaum 46750 at http://kalw.org Zero Waste in San Francisco is a 2020 Vision One man’s trash is another's recycling http://kalw.org/post/one-man-s-trash-anothers-recycling <p><span style="line-height: 1.5;">Californians are pretty good about thinking twice before throwing things away—we divert more than </span><a href="http://www.calrecycle.ca.gov/LGCentral/GoalMeasure/DisposalRate/Graphs/EstDiversion.htm" style="line-height: 1.5;">60 percent</a><span style="line-height: 1.5;"> of our waste away from landfills. But what about that remaining 40 percent?</span></p><p> Wed, 30 Oct 2013 00:10:12 +0000 Judy Silber 35132 at http://kalw.org One man’s trash is another's recycling The dirt on compostable plastics http://kalw.org/post/dirt-compostable-plastics <p>The Sonoma Compost Company is just off Highway 101, northwest of Petaluma. All day, trucks haul in plant materials; others haul out soil. Sift through that soil, and you might find remnants of chicken feathers (apparently great for vegetable growers), rice hulls (nice for clay soils), and more.</p> Wed, 15 Aug 2012 23:30:49 +0000 Hadley Robinson 4901 at http://kalw.org The dirt on compostable plastics