Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- In a warmer world, researchers say climate change is intensifying California's water crisis
- Upgrading San Francisco's aging pipes in times of drought
- Your Call: What if we ate as if water mattered?
- How Should Bay Area Cities Regulate E-Cigarettes?
- $5,400 for a piece of cardboard? The allure of 'Magic: The Gathering'
Chris Hoff has been an engineer with KALW News' Crosscurrents for about three years now, and before that he volunteered and reported for the show starting in 2006. The road to radio and KALW was a circuitous one: Hoff's undergraduate career in Classics left him aimless, professionally speaking; his zeal for Pindar, Homer, Thucydides, and Virgil could not earn him a living, so in 2002 he floated around, first to Weimar, Germany, then to Berlin. It was in Berlin that Hoff uncovered his enthusiasm for the then-burgeoning internet radio phenomenon known as "podcasting." For two years he made podcasts with a buddy of his until he decided to get more serious with the medium. So after getting his feet wet in broadcast journalism at CNN Berlin in 2006, Hoff moved back to San Francisco, met Holly Kernan and Ben Trefny at KALW, and settled into his work with the fabulous Crosscurrents team. Quoth Hoff, "It is satisfying to have acquired a practical skill after so many years of dabbling and dilettantism."