Most Active Stories
- In legal grey area, West Oakland resident discovers free house
- Not your stereotypical ‘Surfer Girls’ at Ocean Beach
- When it Comes to Admissions, What Do Colleges Really Want?
- Today on Your Call: How should we understand the invisible web that connects our digital devices?
- Will prison arts programs make a comeback in California?
1 Person, 10 Professional Careers...Without a College Degree
These days, a college degree far from assures you'll land a good job. Indeed, a degree has been described as a mere hunting license. And conventional wisdom is that without a degree you're likely doomed to a McJob.
That hasn't been the case for Linda Seabright, who will be my guest on Work with Marty Nemko on April 1, 2012. Without a degree, she has held each of the following positions:
- Graphic designer at The New York Times (no formal art training)
- Vice-President for a non-profit to save the wetlands in Louisiana
- Radio host
- Documentary producer
- CFO/accountant/bookkeeper (no formal training)
- Financial consultant for Twitter
- Executive Director
- Legal secretary
- Event producer
A few weeks ago, she resigned her most recent position as chief financial officer. She's confident that, even in this job market, she'll land another professional-level position...she doesn't know in what field...without a college degree.