Most Active Stories
- Why are teachers leaving Oakland?
- The first look inside San Francisco's radical attempt to end homelessness
- Is Oakland’s DIY music scene in serious trouble?
- Everybody disagrees on how to solve San Francisco’s affordable housing crisis
- Putting an earring in my ear: the centennial of the Armenian Genocide
August 08, 2012
221th day of 2012, 145 remaining
59% of the moon is visible, setting at 1:02pm, rising at 11:36pm
Low Tides at the Golden Gate: 10:13am/11:44pm
High Tides: 4:54am/1144pm
Special Celebrations today:
Sneak Some Zucchini Onto Your Neighbor's Porch Night
Happiness Happens Day
National Frozen Custard Day
Farmers Day in Tanzania
On this day in...
1923: Clarinetist Benny Goodman got his first professional job as a band leader on a Chicago excursion boat. He was 14 years old.
1941: Joe DiMaggio, the Yankee Clipper, got a new nickname when Les Brown and his band of Renown recorded "Joltin' Joe DiMaggio"
1974: President Richard Nixon announced he would resign following new damaging revelations in the Watergate scandal.
1988: 39,012 fans attended the first night baseball game at Chicago's Wrigley Field
If today's your birthday, you share it with:
Actor Dustin Hoffman 75
Singer Mel Tillis 80
TV's Deborah Norville 54
Actress Connie Stevens 74
Swimmer-actress Esther Williams 91
Actor Keith Carradine 62
Actor Donny Most 60
Tennis Pro Roger Federer 32