Most Active Stories
- Is the Bay Area in a housing bubble or a housing crisis?
- Mission High and Bi-Rite Market partner in a neighborhood divided
- Robotic seals comfort dementia patients but raise ethical concerns
- Robots for humanity: how technology is changing the life of one Bay Area man
- Audiograph's Sound of the Week: The Church of Coltrane
August 6, 2012
219th day of 2012, 147 remaining
The Moon is waning Gibbous 79%
High Tide: 5:59am
Low Tide: 1:08pm
Special Celebrations today:
Today is National Fresh Breath Day
National Root Beer Float Day
Wiggle Your Toes Day
Picnic Day in Australia
National Pamper Yourself Day
Independence Day in Jamaica
On this day in...
1806: The Holy Roman Empire went out of existence as Francis I abdicated
1960: Chubby Checker did the "Twist" on American TV for the first time appearing on "American Bandstand"
1973: Stevie Wonder was seriously injured in an auto accident, remaining in a coma for four days.
1986: William J. Schroeder died after living 620 days with the Jarvik Seven artificial heart.
1994: Newlyweds Michael Jackson and Lisa Marie Presely made their first public appearance together.
2003: Actor Arnold Schwarzenegger used an appearance on NBC's "The tonight show" with Jay Leno" to announce his successful bid to replace California Governor Grey Davis.
2004: Legendary funk-rocker Rick James died in Los Angeles at age 56.
If today's your birthday, you share it with:
M. Night Shamalan
Solie Moon Frye