Most Active Stories
- City Visions: Can Bay Area Catholics and Archbishop Cordileone Find Common Ground?
- Enrollment now open for the 2015-2016 KALW News Audio Academy
- $5,400 for a piece of cardboard? The allure of 'Magic: The Gathering'
- Your Call: How bad is California’s drought?
- The Spiritual Edge: Afro-Cuban movement with meaning
Arts & Culture
Bay Area Beats: DJ Atish on the art of mixing
The chemistry between people on a dance floor and the DJ mixing for them is not something to take lightly. The DJ is like a combination of artist, entertainer, and performer – taking the crowd on a musical journey.
"When you see the energy that’s being created by the performer on stage, I think that permeates onto the dance floor in a very very strong way," says Atish Mehta. He's a computer programmer in Silicon Valley by day and DJ Atish in his spare time. He spins what he calls "melodic deep house."
DJ Atish recently spoke with KALW'S Martina Castro about his approach to DJ-ing, and what goes into making a good mix. He says it's about way more than just pressing play. It's an art form.
Click on the audio above to hear the story.
To hear more from DJ Atish, visit his Soundcloud page.