Most Active Stories
- Why are teachers leaving Oakland?
- The first look inside San Francisco's radical attempt to end homelessness
- Is Oakland’s DIY music scene in serious trouble?
- Everybody disagrees on how to solve San Francisco’s affordable housing crisis
- Putting an earring in my ear: the centennial of the Armenian Genocide
Bluegrass Signal: A salute to Dudley Connell
Now on KALW's Local Music Player: The incomparable singer who first came to prominence with the Johnson Mountain Boys in the early '80s.
That band is often thought of as "saviors" of bluegrass, as they restored the music to its intense, soulful roots -- in part because of Dudley's lead vocals, original songs, and solid guitar playing. Lots of classic JMB on this show, plus examples of Dudley singing with the Seldom Scene, Longview, Hazel Dickens, Don Rigsby, and Buzz Busby. Produced and hosted by Peter Thompson, "Bluegrass Signal" is broadcast from 6:30 - 8:00 pm on Sat., Feb. 18 (Dudley Connell's birthday).