Most Active Stories
- How one Bay Area city is causing national controversy with local gun control
- What makes a street dangerous? Decoding deadly Van Ness Avenue
- A musician, going deaf, fights for a life in music
- Zero Waste in San Francisco is a 2020 Vision
- The Spiritual Edge: Bay Area Jews head to the desert to reclaim their Biblical roots
Bluegrass Signal: A salute to Dudley Connell
Now on KALW's Local Music Player: The incomparable singer who first came to prominence with the Johnson Mountain Boys in the early '80s.
That band is often thought of as "saviors" of bluegrass, as they restored the music to its intense, soulful roots -- in part because of Dudley's lead vocals, original songs, and solid guitar playing. Lots of classic JMB on this show, plus examples of Dudley singing with the Seldom Scene, Longview, Hazel Dickens, Don Rigsby, and Buzz Busby. Produced and hosted by Peter Thompson, "Bluegrass Signal" is broadcast from 6:30 - 8:00 pm on Sat., Feb. 18 (Dudley Connell's birthday).