Most Active Stories
- Why are teachers leaving Oakland?
- The first look inside San Francisco's radical attempt to end homelessness
- Is Oakland’s DIY music scene in serious trouble?
- Everybody disagrees on how to solve San Francisco’s affordable housing crisis
- Putting an earring in my ear: the centennial of the Armenian Genocide
OUT in the Bay - September 22, 2011
Caring for Queer Elders
Are lesbian, gay and transgender seniors getting proper and respectful care in nursing homes, day-care centers and in their own homes? In Alameda County, the news from a ground-breaking state-funded study is mostly good, but it shows room for improvement. Dan Ashbrook of the non-profit group Lavender Seniors just finished conducting a series of care-giver trainings also funded by the government grant. He'll fill us in on current LGBT elder care issues, along with Dianna Garrett of the Center for Elders’ Independence and Gilbert Carrasco of Salem Lutheran Home, two prominent East Bay senior health care providers. Eric Jansen hosts