Most Active Stories
- In legal grey area, West Oakland resident discovers free house
- Not your stereotypical ‘Surfer Girls’ at Ocean Beach
- When it Comes to Admissions, What Do Colleges Really Want?
- Will prison arts programs make a comeback in California?
- Today on Your Call: How should we understand the invisible web that connects our digital devices?
OUT in the Bay - September 22, 2011
Caring for Queer Elders
Are lesbian, gay and transgender seniors getting proper and respectful care in nursing homes, day-care centers and in their own homes? In Alameda County, the news from a ground-breaking state-funded study is mostly good, but it shows room for improvement. Dan Ashbrook of the non-profit group Lavender Seniors just finished conducting a series of care-giver trainings also funded by the government grant. He'll fill us in on current LGBT elder care issues, along with Dianna Garrett of the Center for Elders’ Independence and Gilbert Carrasco of Salem Lutheran Home, two prominent East Bay senior health care providers. Eric Jansen hosts