Most Active Stories
- In legal grey area, West Oakland resident discovers free house
- Not your stereotypical ‘Surfer Girls’ at Ocean Beach
- When it Comes to Admissions, What Do Colleges Really Want?
- Today on Your Call: How should we understand the invisible web that connects our digital devices?
- Will prison arts programs make a comeback in California?
Out in the Bay - April 26, 2012 - Queer Elder Care
Caring for Queer Elders: East Bay study shows mostly positive trend
Are lesbian, gay and transgender seniors getting proper and respectful care in nursing homes, day-care centers and in their own homes? A groundbreaking state-funded survey in Alameda County showed very encouraging trends, and also room for improvement. Dan Ashbrook of the non-profit group Lavender Seniors conducted a series of caregiver trainings also funded by the state grant. He fills us in on the survey's results and on current LGBT elder care issues, along with Dianna Garrett of the Center for Elders’ Independence and Gilbert Carrasco of Salem Lutheran Home, two prominent East Bay senior health care providers. Eric Jansen hosts this edition of Out in the Bay.