Most Active Stories
- In legal grey area, West Oakland resident discovers free house
- Will prison arts programs make a comeback in California?
- Today on Your Call: How should we understand the invisible web that connects our digital devices?
- When it Comes to Admissions, What Do Colleges Really Want?
- Today on Your Call: How are digital devices affecting children’s health?
City Visions: September 9, 2013
Controversy and the DSM V
Producer: Lisa Denenmark
The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) has long been a Bible for mental health treatment.
Some clinicians say call the latest edition of the DSM a deeply flawed manual, but with a necessary common language for researchers and mental health professionals.
Some are outright rejecting it, saying that the new edition -- the DSM V -- is just a tool for the psychiatric drug industry to create more patients and prescribe more drugs.
Is it time for the DSM to go?
Host Joseph Pace and guests discuss these issues and more.
Related links to guests' work:
City Visions: June 18, 2012
Health, Science, Environment