Most Active Stories
- Is the Bay Area in a housing bubble or a housing crisis?
- Robotic seals comfort dementia patients but raise ethical concerns
- Robots for humanity: how technology is changing the life of one Bay Area man
- Audiograph's Sound of the Week: The Church of Coltrane
- Mission High and Bi-Rite Market partner in a neighborhood divided
Dispatches from Kolkata for 3/26/14
The Dirty Old Man of Delhi
These days, thanks especially to television, journalists have become celebrity pundits in India. They opinionate, bloviate and pontificate on TV all the time. Khushwant Singh became a celebrity long before cable television. He was sometimes callled "the dirty old man of Delhi" because he spoke without much attention to social formalities. Singh was 99 and still writing when he died in Delhi last week.