Most Active Stories
- City Visions: Can Bay Area Catholics and Archbishop Cordileone Find Common Ground?
- Enrollment now open for the 2015-2016 KALW News Audio Academy
- $5,400 for a piece of cardboard? The allure of 'Magic: The Gathering'
- Your Call: How bad is California’s drought?
- The Spiritual Edge: Afro-Cuban movement with meaning
Dispatches from Kolkata for 3/26/14
The Dirty Old Man of Delhi
These days, thanks especially to television, journalists have become celebrity pundits in India. They opinionate, bloviate and pontificate on TV all the time. Khushwant Singh became a celebrity long before cable television. He was sometimes callled "the dirty old man of Delhi" because he spoke without much attention to social formalities. Singh was 99 and still writing when he died in Delhi last week.