Most Active Stories
- Is the Bay Area in a housing bubble or a housing crisis?
- Mission High and Bi-Rite Market partner in a neighborhood divided
- Robotic seals comfort dementia patients but raise ethical concerns
- Robots for humanity: how technology is changing the life of one Bay Area man
- Audiograph's Sound of the Week: The Church of Coltrane
Do these wild parrots sound like screaming babies?
Lots of people have seen — and heard — the wild parrots of Telegraph Hill. They have a distinct sound to them, with one native San Franciscan describing it as a thousand screaming babies. KALW's Leila Day tracked some down last spring. Take a listen:
This story is part of a KALW's Audiograph, a crowd-sourced collaborative radio project mapping the sonic signature of each of the Bay Area's nine counties. Find more on Audiograph here.