Most Active Stories
- How one Bay Area city is causing national controversy with local gun control
- What makes a street dangerous? Decoding deadly Van Ness Avenue
- A musician, going deaf, fights for a life in music
- The Spiritual Edge: Bay Area Jews head to the desert to reclaim their Biblical roots
- "Hello Gorgeous!" Cheyenne Jackson & the SF Symphony
Egypt And Tigerblood Top Twitter's List Of Hashtags This Year
Originally published on Tue December 6, 2011 9:38 am
Yet another sign of the very diverse interests of the world's webizens:
Twitter says the top two hashtags this year have been #egypt and #tigerblood.
Egypt went to the top of words to search and post thanks to the Arab Spring and the uprising that toppled President Hosni Mubarak. As for No. 2, its popularity is all due to actor Charlie Sheen and his famous claim to have "tiger blood."
As for the other words, names and topics that Twitter says were hot this year, they include:
-- "Japan," because of the March earthquake and tsunami.
-- "Raid on Osama bin Laden."
-- "Elizabeth Taylor," who died in March.
-- "McLobster," because of rumors that McDonald's would sell a lobster sandwich across the U.S. It isn't going to.