Most Active Stories
- Technically illegal: How thousands of property owners and renters are breaking the law
- At children's hospital, kids find comfort in music therapy
- Your Call: What do students and parents need to know before they take out student loans?
- Women in STEM: Marine Mammal Center combines science with animal welfare
- Listen to the latest Manager's Report
Egypt And Tigerblood Top Twitter's List Of Hashtags This Year
Originally published on Tue December 6, 2011 9:38 am
Yet another sign of the very diverse interests of the world's webizens:
Twitter says the top two hashtags this year have been #egypt and #tigerblood.
Egypt went to the top of words to search and post thanks to the Arab Spring and the uprising that toppled President Hosni Mubarak. As for No. 2, its popularity is all due to actor Charlie Sheen and his famous claim to have "tiger blood."
As for the other words, names and topics that Twitter says were hot this year, they include:
-- "Japan," because of the March earthquake and tsunami.
-- "Raid on Osama bin Laden."
-- "Elizabeth Taylor," who died in March.
-- "McLobster," because of rumors that McDonald's would sell a lobster sandwich across the U.S. It isn't going to.