Most Active Stories
- In a warmer world, researchers say climate change is intensifying California's water crisis
- Upgrading San Francisco's aging pipes in times of drought
- Robots: a Hands-On Approach to STEM Education
- Your Call: Should orcas be held captive for human entertainment?
- How Should Bay Area Cities Regulate E-Cigarettes?
KALW Special 7/2 & 7/3
Elders by the Bay
Host Lauren Meltzer takes listeners back in time to listen to the stories of three Bay Area pioneers whose initiatives and actions influenced the cultural, technological and environmental landscape of the Bay Area. In an hour documentary, Meltzer interviews: · Julius Blank - one of the founders of Silicon Valley· Sylvia McLaughlin - who helped push legislation to stop the San Francisco bay from being developed into water front property· Frank Jackson - legend and pioneer of the Fillmore jazz era The conversations will reveal that despite working in different sectors, the three pioneers have some things in common – passion, good timing and tenacity. Originally broadcast 7/2/12 at 7pm, and 7/3/12 at 9pm, listen anytime by clicking on the soundfile above.