KALW is calling for applicants for our four-month summer radio journalism program based at KALW public radio, an NPR and BBC affiliate station in San Francisco.
We’re looking for creative thinkers who are great writers and storytellers with a passion for reporting on diverse communities and some knowledge of the Bay Area. Experience with audio production and/or journalism is highly preferred.
We’re looking for:
- Computer literacy, especially with Macs and Google Docs
- Experience with digital audio editing, print/audio/tv/video journalism, radio or audio production.
- Self-starters who can work independently and also enjoy collaboration
- Ability to commit to one regularly-scheduled work day (Mon-Thurs) at KALW’s studios, in addition to reporting time outside of those hours
- Slick dance moves appreciated, but not required
You will be:
- Pitching, reporting, and producing original feature stories for broadcast and online distribution
- Interviewing potential guests/sources
- Researching topics
- Building skills in story structure, voicing, digital production, engineering, and sound design
- Helping with administrative and production duties
The program will take place inside the collaborative and supportive community of the KALW newsroom, located in San Francisco's Portola district. You’ll be an integral part of the production of our daily news magazine show, Crosscurrents.
Participants will be asked to make a four-month commitment from June 2016 to September 2017, minimum 16 hours per week (at least one regularly scheduled eight-hour shift at our studios and another eight hours working in the field). If you’re not able to commit to the entire four months, or the 16 hours, some exceptions may be possible — please explain more in your application. Enrollment in a college or university is not necessary to participate.
How to apply
To apply please put together a cover letter, CV, any audio/writing samples, and if you like, a short, original audio work that you craft for your application. In your application, tell us about your experience with digital audio editing, print/audio/tv/video journalism, radio or audio production.
Send it all to KALWapplications@gmail.com. Please include the subject line Summer 2017.
Application deadline: March 31, 2017, 11:59 p.m. PT
We look forward to meeting you!
The KALW news department also offers a nine-month training program called the Audio Academy. Learn more here.
KALW encourages a diverse pool of applicants from a variety of backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, religion, gender, or sexual orientation. We value diversity.