Most Active Stories
- Technically illegal: How thousands of property owners and renters are breaking the law
- At children's hospital, kids find comfort in music therapy
- Your Call: What do students and parents need to know before they take out student loans?
- Women in STEM: Marine Mammal Center combines science with animal welfare
- Listen to the latest Manager's Report
Fair Trade Labeling Dispute
The fair-trade movement, which pays premiums to farmers in developing countries for meeting social and environmental standards, is growing quickly, and contentiously. The nation's largest fair-trade certifying agency has split from its international partner, hoping to expand the program to plantation-grown coffee. Some coffee sellers say the agency is just lowering standards to benefit corporate coffee companies, and consumers will be left confused.