Most Active Stories
- Is the Bay Area in a housing bubble or a housing crisis?
- Mission High and Bi-Rite Market partner in a neighborhood divided
- Robotic seals comfort dementia patients but raise ethical concerns
- Robots for humanity: how technology is changing the life of one Bay Area man
- Audiograph's Sound of the Week: The Church of Coltrane
Films From the Roof of the World
The First Annual Himalayan Film Festival features films from the roof of the world. Explore the majestic beauty of the Himalayas and the beauty of its people through a series of diverse films showing May 15 thru 19 in Berkeley, Oakland and San Francisco.
The First Annual Himalayan Film Festival takes place in Berkeley, Oakland and San Francisco from Wednesday, May 15 through sunday, May 19, 2013. The films featured explore cultural, political and social themes with a compelling range of feature and documentary films -- The festival opens with Road to Peace -- an intimate and provocative film which captures the simple, human and humorous side of the his holiness, the Dalai Lama. The festival continues through the weekend weaving together tales of crushing heartaches, complex lives and political struggles to paint a dynamic portrait of a region at a crossroads. The festival closes on Sunday with the screening of The Desert Eats Us offering a rare glimpse of the migrant experience in Qatar, where Nepali laborers outnumber natives by 3 to 1.