Most Active Stories
- Is the Bay Area in a housing bubble or a housing crisis?
- In an old church, the Internet Archive stores our digital history
- Your Call: Is there such a thing as sustainable and humane meat?
- The Spiritual Edge: how an architect designs meaningful space
- The Spiritual Edge: Celebrating the commonalities at Oakland’s ‘Sushi’ Mosque
Fresh Air Weekend
Fresh Air Weekend: David O. Russell, 'Last Of The Unjust,' And 'Sonic Wonders'
Fresh Air Weekend highlights some of the best interviews and reviews from past weeks, and new program elements specially paced for weekends. Our weekend show emphasizes interviews with writers, filmmakers, actors, and musicians, and often includes excerpts from live in-studio concerts. This week:
At Last, David O. Russell Is Making The Films He Was Meant To Make
David O. Russell, director of American Hustle and Silver Linings Playbook, first spoke with Terry Gross back in 1994. On Thursday, he tells her that after 20 years, he's finally met his aspirations.
For A Rabbi Who Worked With The Nazis, Is Judgment 'Unjust'?
Claude Lanzmann's documentary profiles a Viennese rabbi put to work in a Czech concentration camp. Although Benjamin Murmelstein was himself not a free man, he was despised by fellow Jewish prisoners.
One Man's Quest To Find The 'Sonic Wonders Of The World'
Acoustic engineer Trevor Cox has traveled around the globe to hear whispering arches and singing sand dunes. Closer to home, he can also explain why your singing sounds better in the shower.
You can listen to the original interviews here:
- At Last, David O. Russell Is Making The Films He Was Meant To Make
- For A Rabbi Who Worked With The Nazis, Is Judgment 'Unjust'?
- One Man's Quest To Find The 'Sonic Wonders Of The World'