Most Active Stories
- City Visions: Can Bay Area Catholics and Archbishop Cordileone Find Common Ground?
- Enrollment now open for the 2015-2016 KALW News Audio Academy
- $5,400 for a piece of cardboard? The allure of 'Magic: The Gathering'
- Your Call: How bad is California’s drought?
- The Spiritual Edge: Afro-Cuban movement with meaning
Arts & Culture
Gary Kamiya's "Cool Gray City of Love"
Co-founder of Salon.com and author of Cool Gray City of Love: 49 Views of San Francisco, Gary Kamiya talks about the city's absurd beginnings as a distant and moth-eaten colonial outpost to its instantaneous fame during the Gold Rush; from its apocalyptic destruction by earthquake and fire to its perennial embrace of rebels, dreamers, hedonists and misfits of all stripes.
Gary Kamiya was recorded at the Commonwealth Club on October 2, 2013, in conversation with Mark Hertsgaard, The Nation’s environmental correspondent and author of six books including his newest work, HOT: Living Through the Next Fifty Years on Earth.