Most Active Stories
- In legal grey area, West Oakland resident discovers free house
- Not your stereotypical ‘Surfer Girls’ at Ocean Beach
- When it Comes to Admissions, What Do Colleges Really Want?
- Today on Your Call: How should we understand the invisible web that connects our digital devices?
- Will prison arts programs make a comeback in California?
Arts & Culture
Gary Kamiya's "Cool Gray City of Love"
Co-founder of Salon.com and author of Cool Gray City of Love: 49 Views of San Francisco, Gary Kamiya talks about the city's absurd beginnings as a distant and moth-eaten colonial outpost to its instantaneous fame during the Gold Rush; from its apocalyptic destruction by earthquake and fire to its perennial embrace of rebels, dreamers, hedonists and misfits of all stripes.
Gary Kamiya was recorded at the Commonwealth Club on October 2, 2013, in conversation with Mark Hertsgaard, The Nation’s environmental correspondent and author of six books including his newest work, HOT: Living Through the Next Fifty Years on Earth.