Most Active Stories
- Is the Bay Area in a housing bubble or a housing crisis?
- Mission High and Bi-Rite Market partner in a neighborhood divided
- Robotic seals comfort dementia patients but raise ethical concerns
- Robots for humanity: how technology is changing the life of one Bay Area man
- Audiograph's Sound of the Week: The Church of Coltrane
Arts & Culture
Gary Kamiya's "Cool Gray City of Love"
Co-founder of Salon.com and author of Cool Gray City of Love: 49 Views of San Francisco, Gary Kamiya talks about the city's absurd beginnings as a distant and moth-eaten colonial outpost to its instantaneous fame during the Gold Rush; from its apocalyptic destruction by earthquake and fire to its perennial embrace of rebels, dreamers, hedonists and misfits of all stripes.
Gary Kamiya was recorded at the Commonwealth Club on October 2, 2013, in conversation with Mark Hertsgaard, The Nation’s environmental correspondent and author of six books including his newest work, HOT: Living Through the Next Fifty Years on Earth.