Most Active Stories
- In legal grey area, West Oakland resident discovers free house
- Not your stereotypical ‘Surfer Girls’ at Ocean Beach
- When it Comes to Admissions, What Do Colleges Really Want?
- Today on Your Call: How can storytelling about the ocean help save it?
- Today on Your Call: What happens when parents fund public schools?
Out in the Bay ~ 5/2 ~ Thursday 7pm
Giving Out: Philanthropy still low in current tech boom
Less than 5 percent of LGBT people give directly to LGBT causes. Why is that? In the midst of another tech boom, why do Bay Area non-profits -- gay and straight -- still struggle? How might they tap into the “new young money”? How much can social media help? Give OUT Day, a new national experiment in online giving for LGBT causes, debuts May 9. Eric Jansen's expert guests on Out in the Bay are Jodi Schwartz of LYRIC, a non-profit serving queer and questioning youth in San Francisco for more than 20 years; Roger Doughty of Horizons Foundation, the Bay Area’s LGBT foundation; and Noris Chavarría of Bolder Giving, creator of Give OUT Day.
You can donate to Out in the Bay May 9 via Give Out Day; or visit www.GiveOutDay.org/BayArea to see all the Bay Area non-profits participating. (On the Give Out Day site, you can schedule your donation in advance to occur May 9)
(Broadcast Thursday, May 2)