Most Active Stories
- Is the Bay Area in a housing bubble or a housing crisis?
- The Greenhouse Project: Bringing San Francisco’s forgotten flower farm back to life
- Your Call: What are your favorite books of 2014?
- Why are there anti-Muslim ads on our public buses?
- Robotic seals comfort dementia patients but raise ethical concerns
HEAR HERE: A POP-UP RADIO PROJECT
Hear Here: Meet Nina Jo Smith
Our Hear Here community storytelling team has been asking San Francisco and Oakland residents the question: what’s a place in your neighborhood that means something to you – and why?
Local musician Nina Jo Smith responded that a significant place to her is the Hotel Utah Saloon in San Francisco’s SOMA district. The Hotel Utah is important to Smith for lots of reasons, one of which has to do with her brother.
The last song featured in this story is from Nina Jo Smith's forthcoming album, People, Places, and Sings. It was recorded live at the Hotel Utah. To learn more about Smith's music and upcoming performances, visit her website.