Most Active Stories
- Why are teachers leaving Oakland?
- The first look inside San Francisco's radical attempt to end homelessness
- Everybody disagrees on how to solve San Francisco’s affordable housing crisis
- Where is San Francisco's transportation system headed?
- Putting an earring in my ear: the centennial of the Armenian Genocide
Dispatches from Kolkata for 11/27
Hell at Tehelka
When violence against women was big in the news in India, an investigative magazine called Tehelka did an explosive sting operation. Its reporters went undercover to 23 police stations around Delhi and got cops talking about rape. The results were shocking. Most cops were happy to blame women for wearing skirts that don’t cover them fully. For having a drink. For going out with a boyfriend and his friends. Real rape they said was rare. And those who were really raped would never complain anyway. This year the magazine produced a special issue on sexual violence
Now India is gripped by the story of another rape. This time however the accused is the man who is the editor of Tehelka. A crusading journalist named Tarun Tejpal. And the person accusing him is a young woman who worked for the magazine.