Most Active Stories
- In legal grey area, West Oakland resident discovers free house
- Will prison arts programs make a comeback in California?
- Today on Your Call: How should we understand the invisible web that connects our digital devices?
- When it Comes to Admissions, What Do Colleges Really Want?
- What's Jesse doing in Kolkata?
Dispatches from Kolkata 12/19
His sitar gently weeps…...
There have been other musical greats in India. But Ravi Shankar was different.
He made my life in America immeasurably easier because he, and his fellow musician Ali Akbar Khan, exposed America to people like me and our culture. As a friend said he was our soft power – in stereo. He was the West’s Discovery of India.