Most Active Stories
- How one Bay Area city is causing national controversy with local gun control
- What makes a street dangerous? Decoding deadly Van Ness Avenue
- A musician, going deaf, fights for a life in music
- The Spiritual Edge: Bay Area Jews head to the desert to reclaim their Biblical roots
- "Hello Gorgeous!" Cheyenne Jackson & the SF Symphony
Out In The Bay - 1/3/13 - Edwin Okong'o
Homo-Fear in Africa
Homo-fear in Africa: Host Marilyn Pittman gets a detailed debrief from journalist Edwin Okong'o about the fragile state of LGBT civil rights in Uganda and other African countries.
The human rights spotlight has been focused on this troubling development since 2009, when legislation was introduced in Uganda to punish homosexuality by death.
As a Kenyan-American journalist and UC Berkeley educator, Edwin also has a bead on the issue within the Bay area African communities. He is also co-host of KALW's "Africa Mix" music program and is a stand-up comedian and satirist with a blog on HuffPo.com.