Most Active Stories
- Is the Bay Area in a housing bubble or a housing crisis?
- Your Call: What are your favorite books of 2014?
- The Greenhouse Project: Bringing San Francisco’s forgotten flower farm back to life
- Robotic seals comfort dementia patients but raise ethical concerns
- Robots for humanity: how technology is changing the life of one Bay Area man
Out In The Bay - 1/3/13 - Edwin Okong'o
Homo-Fear in Africa
Homo-fear in Africa: Host Marilyn Pittman gets a detailed debrief from journalist Edwin Okong'o about the fragile state of LGBT civil rights in Uganda and other African countries.
The human rights spotlight has been focused on this troubling development since 2009, when legislation was introduced in Uganda to punish homosexuality by death.
As a Kenyan-American journalist and UC Berkeley educator, Edwin also has a bead on the issue within the Bay area African communities. He is also co-host of KALW's "Africa Mix" music program and is a stand-up comedian and satirist with a blog on HuffPo.com.