Most Active Stories
- Why are teachers leaving Oakland?
- The first look inside San Francisco's radical attempt to end homelessness
- Is Oakland’s DIY music scene in serious trouble?
- Everybody disagrees on how to solve San Francisco’s affordable housing crisis
- Putting an earring in my ear: the centennial of the Armenian Genocide
City Visions: February 11, 2013
How is Oakland Managing its Unfunded Financial Liabilities?
A discussion of Oakland's fiscal health and looming pension costs. Oakland is being challenged to find ways honor its pension and retirement obligations while providing essential city services. How realistic is the city's Five-Year Financial Plan? What lessons can be learned from Oakland's approach to its unfunded liabilities?
Scott Johnson, C.P.A. - Assistant Oakland City Adminstrator, former Director of Finance for San Jose.
Daniel Borenstein - Award-winning columnist and editorial writer for the Bay Area News Group, which includes the Contra Costa Times, Oakland Tribune, and San Jose Mercury News.
Jim Blachman, C.F.A. - Co-founder of Make Oakland Better Now (MOBN), a civic organization dedicated to improve the City of Oakland using research, education, advocacy, outreach, and candidate vetting to empower Oakland's independent voters.
Producer: Wendy Holcombe