Most Active Stories
- Why are teachers leaving Oakland?
- The first look inside San Francisco's radical attempt to end homelessness
- Is Oakland’s DIY music scene in serious trouble?
- Everybody disagrees on how to solve San Francisco’s affordable housing crisis
- Putting an earring in my ear: the centennial of the Armenian Genocide
I Love to Rhyme - Friday at 10pm
"I Love to Rhyme" - The Lyrics of Ira Gershwin
Friday at 10pm Alan Farley continues his series of programs on the lyrics of Ira Gershwin with Gershwin biographer Philip Furia. This week, they conclude their look at "The Firebrand of Florence," the musical based on the life of Benvenuto Cellini that Ira wrote with Kurt Weill. They also discuss "The Shocking Miss Pilgrim," the film for which Ira wrote lyrics to music by his late brother George. (Voicebox returns next week.)
Pictured: Earl Wrightson as Cellini, with Beverly Tyler, from the 1944 Broadway production of "The Firebrand of Florence".