Most Active Stories
- City Visions: Can Bay Area Catholics and Archbishop Cordileone Find Common Ground?
- Enrollment now open for the 2015-2016 KALW News Audio Academy
- $5,400 for a piece of cardboard? The allure of 'Magic: The Gathering'
- Your Call: How bad is California’s drought?
- The Spiritual Edge: Afro-Cuban movement with meaning
Dispatches from Kolkata for 9/25
I Love You Box
Love in India is often over the top. In the weekly magazine Open I read about a 30-year old lawyer in the town of Patna. He leaves I love you notes for his girlfriend written in blood. But he doesn’t slit his wrists to do it because he says one needs to be innovative, not stupid. So it’s a little surprising to find a Hindi film making a splash with a love story so low key, so subtle, one can hardly call it a romance. The lovers don’t meet. They just exchange notes in a lunchbox. Real handwritten notes . About life. And food.