Most Active Stories
- How one Bay Area city is causing national controversy with local gun control
- What makes a street dangerous? Decoding deadly Van Ness Avenue
- A musician, going deaf, fights for a life in music
- Zero Waste in San Francisco is a 2020 Vision
- The Spiritual Edge: Bay Area Jews head to the desert to reclaim their Biblical roots
Dispatches from Kolkata for 4/10
The intriguing story of Shaikh Musa.
Fatima Shaikh has yet to find a family like hers - African American Catholics with a Muslim name - all thanks to a man she had never met, her grandfather Shaikh Muhammad Musa. A Bengali peddler from India who married an African American woman from New Orleans in 1896. He left behind three children but few clues about himself.