Most Active Stories
- In legal grey area, West Oakland resident discovers free house
- Not your stereotypical ‘Surfer Girls’ at Ocean Beach
- When it Comes to Admissions, What Do Colleges Really Want?
- What's Jesse doing in Kolkata?
- Today on Your Call: How should we understand the invisible web that connects our digital devices?
Jobless Claims Dip Below 400,000
There were 397,000 first-time claims for unemployment benefits last week, down 9,000 from the week before, the Employment and Training Administration just reported.
There have been a few signs recently that the economy may be on slightly firmer footing — most notably, word that gross domestic product grew at an estimated 2.5 percent annual rate in the third quarter.
We'll get more data Friday when the Bureau of Labor Statistics releases its figures on the October unemployment rate and, hopefully, job growth. The nation's jobless rate was an estimated 9.1 percent in September.