Most Active Stories
- Why are teachers leaving Oakland?
- The first look inside San Francisco's radical attempt to end homelessness
- Is Oakland’s DIY music scene in serious trouble?
- Everybody disagrees on how to solve San Francisco’s affordable housing crisis
- Putting an earring in my ear: the centennial of the Armenian Genocide
Dispatches from Kolkata 12/12
From Kolkata with love: a Chinese Nobel laureate's Kolkata connection
It's a long way from Beijing to Kolkata. But somehow Nobel laureate Mo Yan's newest novel Pow! is coming out of a small indie publishing house in Kolkata. While the rest of the world focuses on Mo Yan's stance on censorship, this is a story of the sweet triumph for a small publisher in a world of conglomerates.