Most Active Stories
- Is the Bay Area in a housing bubble or a housing crisis?
- The Greenhouse Project: Bringing San Francisco’s forgotten flower farm back to life
- Your Call: What are your favorite books of 2014?
- Why are there anti-Muslim ads on our public buses?
- Robotic seals comfort dementia patients but raise ethical concerns
Out in the Bay ~ 5/30/13 - 7pm
Liberace's Spectacular Crystal Closet
With all the
hoopla over "Behind the Candelabra," HBO's movie starring Michael Douglas as Liberace, we thought you'd like to hear the real deal. So we're re-airing
our music-rich half-hour documentary on the late "Mr. Showmanship"'s life and legacy, produced by Out in the Bay's Eric Jansen and told with love by Liberace Museum curators and a Liberace tribute artist, and featuring Liberace’s own voice and music.
Liberace and his family vigorously denied that he was gay, even when he died of AIDS complications in 1987. Yet he was a consummate performer almost until the very end. Sit back (preferably in marble tub with champagne in hand!), close your eyes and enjoy a trip back in time with the most spectacular, outlandish, and ground-breaking closeted entertainer of the 20th century, in this just-refreshed documentary. (Broadcast Thursday, May 30, 2013, 7pm PDT. Original interviews conducted 2009, narration updated 2013.)