Most Active Stories
- Is the Bay Area in a housing bubble or a housing crisis?
- Why are there anti-Muslim ads on our public buses?
- The Greenhouse Project: Bringing San Francisco’s forgotten flower farm back to life
- Your Call: What are your favorite books of 2014?
- Robotic seals comfort dementia patients but raise ethical concerns
Arts & Culture
Liner Notes: The Melodic
In August on KALW, Max Jacobs, co-creator of the "Bay Area Beats" series on Crosscurrents, presents four pilots of a new program he's calling Liner Notes. Liner Notes invites today's musicians to explore the inspirations behind their work. In each hour, Max sits down with a musician to spin the records that made them want to make music. Whether it's the first song they heard their grandmother sing or an unexpected guilty pleasure, you'll hear the stories of the music that matters to them and how it's shaped them.
On this week's Liner Notes he was joined by the British band The Melodic, who have burst onto the scene this past year with music that has been described as neo-Chilean afro folk dance music. It's no surprise that the records they brought in are literally all over the map.
Tune in next Wednesday night (and every Wednesday in August) for the latest episode or stream live at 11 right after Fog City Blues on KALW 91.7 fm.