Most Active Stories
- Technically illegal: How thousands of property owners and renters are breaking the law
- At children's hospital, kids find comfort in music therapy
- Your Call: What do students and parents need to know before they take out student loans?
- Listen to the latest Manager's Report
- Your Call: How can photography impact the struggle for human rights around the globe?
Living Wage: A restaurant owner who thinks differently
Jennifer Piallat has worked in most every aspect of the restaurant industry – dishwasher, waitstaff, chef, manager – and those experiences have informed her decisions as owner of Zazie, a popular bistro in San Francisco's Cole Valley. Her employees receive a living wage, and benefits, and she's testified about her philosophies and process before the U.S. Department of Labor.
"We put in health insurance, established a 401k with a four percent match. We have dental insurance, chiropractic, all those sorts of things I never received in 30 years in the restaurant business." - Jennifer Piallat
Click on the audio player above to hear the whole story.
income inequality, Robert Reich, achievement gap,