Most Active Stories
- Will prison arts programs make a comeback in California?
- Today on Your Call: How should we understand the invisible web that connects our digital devices?
- In legal grey area, West Oakland resident discovers free house
- Today on Your Call: How are digital devices affecting children’s health?
- Today on Your Call: What are 'best practices' for using digital devices?
Out in the Bay - January 19, 2012
"Marriage Penalty?!?" Inability to marry hits LGBT people right in the assets!
Inequality hits LGBT people right in the assets. Remember all the hype about the “marriage penalty”? actually, most of the penalties come if you canNOT marry. Legal inequities allow or even require discrimination in taxes, pensions, health care, real estate and much more. Financial advisor Mark Grace and estate planning attorney Susan von Herrmann fill us in on the extra steps queer people must take to protect themselves and their families financially. They also give practical tips for anyone – including straight folks – in a relationship not recognized by the U.S. government. Eric Jansen hosts.