Most Active Stories
City Visions: April 23, 2012
A New Vision for Summer Learning
New research shows students losing substantial academic ground during the summer months. While funds to summer school continue to dwindle, local districts are finding creative ways to keep their students learning throughout the summer break. Host Joseph Pace and guests Katie Brackenridge of the Partnership for Children and Youth, Lara Fox of the Peninsula Boys and Girls Club and Jane O'Brien of Oakland Unified School District had a great discussion about why summer may no longer be the most overlooked part of the school year.
The following resources and websites were referenced during the show:
- Summer Matters: policy group advocating for summer learning for more children in California.
- “Summer Learning Loss” and Its Solutions: from the Partnership for Children and Youth
- RAND Report on the impact of summer learning loss for low-income and struggling students
- Johns Hopkins University report on the "summer slide" many students experience academically
- Oakland Unified School District Summer Resource Guide
- Boys and Girls Club of the Peninsula