Most Active Stories
- In legal grey area, West Oakland resident discovers free house
- Not your stereotypical ‘Surfer Girls’ at Ocean Beach
- When it Comes to Admissions, What Do Colleges Really Want?
- Today on Your Call: How can storytelling about the ocean help save it?
- Today on Your Call: What happens when parents fund public schools?
City Visions: January 28, 2013
Nonprofits Seek Their Silver Linings Playbook
These days, nonprofit organizations are shouldering even greater responsibility for protecting civil rights and meeting basic human needs.
A new study on development and fundraising says that many social justice nonprofits are stuck in a vicious cycle that threatens their ability to raise the resources they need to succeed.
- How are development departments recruited and valued within organizations? Do high salaries mean a better talent pool?
- Is there a stigma around social justice groups asking for money?
- How has a dependency on foundation money come about?
- How do issues of race and class contribute to these challenges?
What shifts in thinking and action are needed to keep the Bay Area nonprofit sector vibrant and robust? And what role do foundations play in this?