Most Active Stories
- How one Bay Area city is causing national controversy with local gun control
- What makes a street dangerous? Decoding deadly Van Ness Avenue
- A musician, going deaf, fights for a life in music
- Zero Waste in San Francisco is a 2020 Vision
- The Spiritual Edge: Bay Area Jews head to the desert to reclaim their Biblical roots
Arts & Culture
Opera turns tragedy into musical experience
San Francisco composer Erling Wold’s new chamber opera, Certitude & Joy, opens this week. The opera is a semi-autobiographical work that mixes Wold's personal struggle with religious faith with a real-life San Francisco. Wold is a renowned composer – his pieces have been played from the Bay Area to Bulgaria. He’s also an accomplished computer scientist, with multiple software patents to his name.
KALW’s Jen Chien spoke with Erling Wold about how he balances art and science, and about the effort to make meaning out of tragedy, through music.