Most Active Stories
- In legal grey area, West Oakland resident discovers free house
- Will prison arts programs make a comeback in California?
- Today on Your Call: How should we understand the invisible web that connects our digital devices?
- Today on Your Call: How are digital devices affecting children’s health?
- What's Jesse doing in Kolkata?
Out in the Bay June 13
Queer Life & Pride in the Suburbs: How visible, how safe?
It seems gay pride is spreading. Yet mere miles from San Francisco, many LGBT people have reason not to feel safe or be “out” at work.
San Mateo County held its first-ever LGBTQI Pride Celebration Saturday, joining other Bay Area communities overshadowed by San Francisco that have launched their own Pride parties. Why? How visible and how safe are gay, lesbian, bi, intersex and trans people -- and what's queer life like -- in San Mateo, Castro Valley, Marin and other locales close to the city some consider the center of the gay universe? Join host Eric Jansen and his “out of town” guests for a discussion of queer life outside of "The City" and a preview of San Mateo Pride (June 15) and Castro Valley Pride (July 13). Eric's guests are Shannon Casey of San Mateo Pride and Billy Bradford of Castro Valley Pride, and if time allows, you'll hear music from San Jose-based pop-singer Xavier Toscano, who's performing at both celebrations and at San Francisco Pride, and perhaps another San Mateo Pride entertainer. (Live interview broadcast Thursday June 13, 2013)