Most Active Stories
- How one Bay Area city is causing national controversy with local gun control
- What makes a street dangerous? Decoding deadly Van Ness Avenue
- A musician, going deaf, fights for a life in music
- The Spiritual Edge: Bay Area Jews head to the desert to reclaim their Biblical roots
- "Hello Gorgeous!" Cheyenne Jackson & the SF Symphony
Beastie Boys' Adam Yauch Has Died
Originally published on Fri May 4, 2012 12:26 pm
Update at 2:30 p.m. ET: The news that Adam Yauch of the Beastie Boys has died has now been confirmed by the group's public relations firm.
Our original post:
Adam "MCA" Yauch of the Beastie Boys, who announced in 2009 that he had a cancerous tumor in a salivary gland, has died, according to reports from Global Grind.com, Rolling Stone and TMZ.com. He was 47.
"...combined hardcore and hip-hop in a fresh-sounding musical mashup that was danceable, infectious and wickedly funny. ... Due to their brash humor and punkish sensibility, the Beastie Boys have been called 'the bastard brat offspring of Sesame Street and the Sex Pistols,' 'AC/DC meets Run-D.M.C. with a teenage wit' and 'the Marx Brothers of rap.' "