Most Active Stories
- Is the Bay Area in a housing bubble or a housing crisis?
- Mission High and Bi-Rite Market partner in a neighborhood divided
- Robotic seals comfort dementia patients but raise ethical concerns
- Robots for humanity: how technology is changing the life of one Bay Area man
- Audiograph's Sound of the Week: The Church of Coltrane
Retail Sales Rose More Than Forecast In October
Two new economic indicators:
-- Sales in the retail and food sectors rose 0.5 percent in October from September, the Census Bureau says. They were up 7.2 percent from October 2010.
Bloomberg News says the increase in retail sales was "more than projected as Americans snapped up new Apple Inc. iPhones and demand for automobiles improved."
-- Wholesale prices "declined 0.3 percent in October" from September, the Bureau of Labor Statistics reports. The major factor: A 1.4 percent drop in energy costs. Over the past year, BLS added, wholesale prices have risen 5.9 percent.