Most Active Stories
- Is the Bay Area in a housing bubble or a housing crisis?
- Mission High and Bi-Rite Market partner in a neighborhood divided
- Robotic seals comfort dementia patients but raise ethical concerns
- Robots for humanity: how technology is changing the life of one Bay Area man
- Audiograph's Sound of the Week: The Church of Coltrane
City Visions: March 18, 2013
The Rise of the Young Philanthropist
Host Lauren Meltzer and guests discuss the growing impact of young philanthropists. Last year, The Chronicle of Philanthropy reported that three of the top five donors of 2012 were under 40. Two of the three live in the Bay Area, which seems to generate new millionaires with each successful I.P.O. What are the values of these young donors? The Bay Area has lost some major philanthropists in the last five years - will this new guard fill their shoes?
Leigh Stilwell, Chief Donor Experience and Engagement Officer at the Silicon Valley Community Foundation.
Stephanie Fuerstner Gillis, Senior Director of Foundation Management at Arabella Advisors.
Danielle Oristian York, Director at 21/64, which recently collaborated with The Johnson Center for Family Philanthropy on a study of young donors called NextGenDonors.org.
Jaimie Mayer Phinney, young philanthropist and arts entrepreneur who sits on the board of The Nathan Cummings Foundation. Her family founded Sara Lee Corporation.
Producer: Wendy Holcombe