Most Active Stories
- In a warmer world, researchers say climate change is intensifying California's water crisis
- Upgrading San Francisco's aging pipes in times of drought
- Robots: a Hands-On Approach to STEM Education
- Your Call: Should orcas be held captive for human entertainment?
- How Should Bay Area Cities Regulate E-Cigarettes?
San Francisco elementary school PTA debates how to use funds
In 2011, the latest year that data is available, parents at San Francisco elementary schools collectively raised over five million dollars for their kids’ schools. More than half of that money was raised by only ten elementary schools in a district of 71.
The PTA at Junipero Serra Elementary was not one of the schools to raise in the hundreds of dollars of funds. It’s budget is in the tens of thousands. Four thousand of those dollars were the subject of a heated discussion at a recent meeting. KALW’s Leila Day was there.
Click the audio player above to listen to the story.
Read more about PTA funding for San Francisco elementary schools in the winter edition of the San Francisco Public Press.