Most Active Stories
- Is the Bay Area in a housing bubble or a housing crisis?
- Why are there anti-Muslim ads on our public buses?
- The Greenhouse Project: Bringing San Francisco’s forgotten flower farm back to life
- Your Call: What are your favorite books of 2014?
- Robotic seals comfort dementia patients but raise ethical concerns
San Francisco elementary school PTA debates how to use funds
In 2011, the latest year that data is available, parents at San Francisco elementary schools collectively raised over five million dollars for their kids’ schools. More than half of that money was raised by only ten elementary schools in a district of 71.
The PTA at Junipero Serra Elementary was not one of the schools to raise in the hundreds of dollars of funds. It’s budget is in the tens of thousands. Four thousand of those dollars were the subject of a heated discussion at a recent meeting. KALW’s Leila Day was there.
Click the audio player above to listen to the story.
Read more about PTA funding for San Francisco elementary schools in the winter edition of the San Francisco Public Press.