Most Active Stories
- How one Bay Area city is causing national controversy with local gun control
- What makes a street dangerous? Decoding deadly Van Ness Avenue
- A musician, going deaf, fights for a life in music
- Zero Waste in San Francisco is a 2020 Vision
- The Spiritual Edge: Bay Area Jews head to the desert to reclaim their Biblical roots
San Francisco elementary school PTA debates how to use funds
In 2011, the latest year that data is available, parents at San Francisco elementary schools collectively raised over five million dollars for their kids’ schools. More than half of that money was raised by only ten elementary schools in a district of 71.
The PTA at Junipero Serra Elementary was not one of the schools to raise in the hundreds of dollars of funds. It’s budget is in the tens of thousands. Four thousand of those dollars were the subject of a heated discussion at a recent meeting. KALW’s Leila Day was there.
Click the audio player above to listen to the story.
Read more about PTA funding for San Francisco elementary schools in the winter edition of the San Francisco Public Press.