Most Active Stories
- City Visions: Can Bay Area Catholics and Archbishop Cordileone Find Common Ground?
- Enrollment now open for the 2015-2016 KALW News Audio Academy
- $5,400 for a piece of cardboard? The allure of 'Magic: The Gathering'
- Your Call: How bad is California’s drought?
- The Spiritual Edge: Afro-Cuban movement with meaning
Dispatches from Kolkata 6/4/2014
Sandip Roy: Not Worth 1000 Words
Last week India was shocked by a picture that looked ripped out of the American south from decades ago. Two young women, raped and strangled, and then dangling from a mango tree in a village in the Badaun district of the Indian state of Uttar Pradesh.
But the pictures shocking as they are are not worth a 1000 words because they cannot begin to unravel the context behind the story.