Most Active Stories
- Is the Bay Area in a housing bubble or a housing crisis?
- Robotic seals comfort dementia patients but raise ethical concerns
- Robots for humanity: how technology is changing the life of one Bay Area man
- Audiograph's Sound of the Week: The Church of Coltrane
- Mission High and Bi-Rite Market partner in a neighborhood divided
Dispatches from Kolkata 5/21/14
Sandip Roy: A Stop in Mewat
The village of Mewat a couple of hours outside Delhi looks very unexceptional. I’d never even heard of it till I passed through it on the Indian election campaign trail. It’s sunbaked. The land stony and dry. Trucks rumble past on the highway Buffalos doze. There’s no reason to stop in Mewat. Except in 1947 a very famous Indian did stop here. And changed history.