Most Active Stories
- Technically illegal: How thousands of property owners and renters are breaking the law
- At children's hospital, kids find comfort in music therapy
- Your Call: What do students and parents need to know before they take out student loans?
- Listen to the latest Manager's Report
- Your Call: How can photography impact the struggle for human rights around the globe?
Dispatches from Kolkata 5/21/14
Sandip Roy: A Stop in Mewat
The village of Mewat a couple of hours outside Delhi looks very unexceptional. I’d never even heard of it till I passed through it on the Indian election campaign trail. It’s sunbaked. The land stony and dry. Trucks rumble past on the highway Buffalos doze. There’s no reason to stop in Mewat. Except in 1947 a very famous Indian did stop here. And changed history.