Most Active Stories
- Is the Bay Area in a housing bubble or a housing crisis?
- The Greenhouse Project: Bringing San Francisco’s forgotten flower farm back to life
- Your Call: What are your favorite books of 2014?
- Why are there anti-Muslim ads on our public buses?
- Robotic seals comfort dementia patients but raise ethical concerns
Cops & Courts
The Spot 7.10.14 Jailhouse Lawyers + Stiletto Heels
Life of the Law: “Jailhouse Lawyers”
In California, there are hundreds if not thousands of people practicing criminal law though they’ve never passed a bar exam. They’re inmates who pursue the equivalent of a lawyer’s education and who work as lawyers from within prison walls.
99% Invisible: "Feet of Engineering"
As a fashion object and symbol, the high heel shoe is weighted with meaning. It’s also weighted with the wearer’s entire body weight. The stiletto might be one of the only designs that is physically painful but has somehow has persisted for centuries.