Most Active Stories
- Is the Bay Area in a housing bubble or a housing crisis?
- Mission High and Bi-Rite Market partner in a neighborhood divided
- Robotic seals comfort dementia patients but raise ethical concerns
- Robots for humanity: how technology is changing the life of one Bay Area man
- Audiograph's Sound of the Week: The Church of Coltrane
City Visions: November 19, 2012
Star Search: Can You Trust Online Reviews?
Maybe that hotel has bedbugs. Maybe the competitor's brother-in-law wrote the review. And just maybe that root canal in Freemont was almost pleasurable?
Think you can spot a fake review on Yelp, TripAdvisor, Amazon, or even RateMyProfessors?
We discuss online reviews and their impact on consumers, small businesses -- and the (de)centralizing of information. Also, who's gaming the system, and how have consumer-generated reviews changed the game?
Yaniv Dover, Assistant Professor, Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth College; Jesse Hirsch, Food critic and writer, San Francisco Examiner; and Matt Stuart, Co-Founder and Co-CEO, Main Street Hub.
Producer: Lisa Denenmark
Links and Resources: