Most Active Stories
- In legal grey area, West Oakland resident discovers free house
- Will prison arts programs make a comeback in California?
- Today on Your Call: How should we understand the invisible web that connects our digital devices?
- When it Comes to Admissions, What Do Colleges Really Want?
- Today on Your Call: How are digital devices affecting children’s health?
City Visions: November 19, 2012
Star Search: Can You Trust Online Reviews?
Maybe that hotel has bedbugs. Maybe the competitor's brother-in-law wrote the review. And just maybe that root canal in Freemont was almost pleasurable?
Think you can spot a fake review on Yelp, TripAdvisor, Amazon, or even RateMyProfessors?
We discuss online reviews and their impact on consumers, small businesses -- and the (de)centralizing of information. Also, who's gaming the system, and how have consumer-generated reviews changed the game?
Yaniv Dover, Assistant Professor, Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth College; Jesse Hirsch, Food critic and writer, San Francisco Examiner; and Matt Stuart, Co-Founder and Co-CEO, Main Street Hub.
Producer: Lisa Denenmark
Links and Resources: