Most Active Stories
- Is the Bay Area in a housing bubble or a housing crisis?
- Why are there anti-Muslim ads on our public buses?
- The Greenhouse Project: Bringing San Francisco’s forgotten flower farm back to life
- Your Call: What are your favorite books of 2014?
- Robotic seals comfort dementia patients but raise ethical concerns
Health, Science, Environment
StoryCorps: Navigating patients to spiritual health at Highland Hospital
From time to time, the StoryCorps team goes mobile, and collects interviews at different sites around the Bay Area. One of the places they visited was Highland Hospital in East Oakland. The public hospital has been around since 1927, and has since served thousands of patients from all walks of life.
Zhonnet Harper, who goes by the nickname Z, is a patient care navigator at Highland. She helps her patients navigate the ups and downs of the health care system, and get the treatment they need. Harper met Beneca Curry at the hospital earlier this year, when Beneca discovered she had stage 2 breast cancer.
Click the audio player above to hear the story.
This interview was facilitated by Geraldine Ah-Sue, and prepared for KALW by Martina Castro. It originally aired on October 24, 2013. For more information on StoryCorps, go to the StoryCorps in San Francisco website.