Most Active Stories
- In legal grey area, West Oakland resident discovers free house
- Not your stereotypical ‘Surfer Girls’ at Ocean Beach
- When it Comes to Admissions, What Do Colleges Really Want?
- Today on Your Call: How can storytelling about the ocean help save it?
- Today on Your Call: What happens when parents fund public schools?
City Visions: June 3, 2013
Take Me Out: Homophobia and Transphobia in Sports
City Visions kicks off Pride month by exploring homophobia and transphobia in sports. Have conversations about out LGBTQ athletes in the Bay Area changed since Jason Collins and Brittney Griner came out publicly? Since Giants pitcher Jeremy Affeldt apologized for his homophobic past? How do intersections of race, class and gender impact the experiences of LGBTQ athletes? In K-12 education, does Race to the Top include LGBTQ athletes? And why do many people still question whether it is easier for women to come out than men?
- Fawn Yacker -- Director/Writer/Co-Producer , The Last Closet
- Robert McGarry -- Educational Director, GLSEN (Gay, Lesbian & Straight Education Network), of which Changing the Game: The GLSEN Sports Project is a part
- Ilona Turner -- Legal Director, Transgender Law Center
- Cyd Zeigler -- Author and Co-Founder, Outsports.com
Producer: Lisa Denenmark
Out in the Bay - June 7, 2012 - Queers in sports