Most Active Stories
- City Visions: Can Bay Area Catholics and Archbishop Cordileone Find Common Ground?
- Enrollment now open for the 2015-2016 KALW News Audio Academy
- $5,400 for a piece of cardboard? The allure of 'Magic: The Gathering'
- Your Call: How bad is California’s drought?
- The Spiritual Edge: Afro-Cuban movement with meaning
City Visions: June 3, 2013
Take Me Out: Homophobia and Transphobia in Sports
City Visions kicks off Pride month by exploring homophobia and transphobia in sports. Have conversations about out LGBTQ athletes in the Bay Area changed since Jason Collins and Brittney Griner came out publicly? Since Giants pitcher Jeremy Affeldt apologized for his homophobic past? How do intersections of race, class and gender impact the experiences of LGBTQ athletes? In K-12 education, does Race to the Top include LGBTQ athletes? And why do many people still question whether it is easier for women to come out than men?
- Fawn Yacker -- Director/Writer/Co-Producer , The Last Closet
- Robert McGarry -- Educational Director, GLSEN (Gay, Lesbian & Straight Education Network), of which Changing the Game: The GLSEN Sports Project is a part
- Ilona Turner -- Legal Director, Transgender Law Center
- Cyd Zeigler -- Author and Co-Founder, Outsports.com
Producer: Lisa Denenmark
Out in the Bay - June 7, 2012 - Queers in sports