Most Active Stories
- Is the Bay Area in a housing bubble or a housing crisis?
- Mission High and Bi-Rite Market partner in a neighborhood divided
- Robotic seals comfort dementia patients but raise ethical concerns
- Robots for humanity: how technology is changing the life of one Bay Area man
- Audiograph's Sound of the Week: The Church of Coltrane
Thieves Apprehended After Pocket Dialing 911
Originally published on Fri December 16, 2011 12:23 pm
RENEE MONTAGNE, HOST:
Good morning, I'm Renee Montagne. Most thieves don't turn themselves in, but two in Wisconsin did without quite intending to. As the men drove off after stealing DVDs and video games from Target, one thief pocket-dialed 9-1-1. A dispatcher listened as the duo detailed their heist, including how the police would be looking for their Blue Dodge Durango.
That tip led the cops directly to them. After 54 minutes, their call to 9-1-1 finally ended with their arrest.
It's MORNING EDITION. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright NPR.