Most Active Stories
- Why are teachers leaving Oakland?
- The first look inside San Francisco's radical attempt to end homelessness
- Is Oakland’s DIY music scene in serious trouble?
- Everybody disagrees on how to solve San Francisco’s affordable housing crisis
- Putting an earring in my ear: the centennial of the Armenian Genocide
Today On Your Call: Bringing Diversity Into Higher Education
On today's Your Call we’ll talk about bringing diversity into higher education. How do you do it? How do you know when it’s working? We’ll look back at the history of ethnic studies and try and make sense of the battles going on today. What does ethnic studies really mean? How about diversity studies? What has been gained by the creation of these departments and what may be lost in their consolidation?
Kenneth Monteiro, Dean of the College of Ethnic Studies at San Francisco State. He is a cognitive psychologist, focusing on the social and cultural influences of learning and health, particularly in the African American and LGBTQ communities.
Ardel Thomas, Chair of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Studies at City College of San Francisco. She earned her doctorate in Modern Thought and Literature at Stanford University.
East Bay Express: UC Berkeley students stage hunger strike to protest ethnic studies cuts
KALW NEWS: Looking back at the SFSU Strike of 1968